- To provide the physical infrastructure required to sequence, assemble and analyse genomes of interest to New Zealand.
- To provide the skill base required to sequence, assemble and analyse genomes of interest to New Zealand.
- To construct of a series of expressed sequence tagged libraries and subsequently sequence these regions of the kiwi genome.
- To provide an infrastructure to allow postgraduate students to undertake genome studies. Students could be enrolled at any of the tertiary institutions in New Zealand.
- To strengthen the relationships with all stakeholders including schools, the public, scientific researchers by the development of new and uniquely New Zealand teaching materials on genomes, for TEOs in this country.
- To capatilise on a considerable wealth of expertise in genome analysis, already develped in the private sector and CRIs.
- To maintain the centre through the purchase of new technologies, as they become available. To continually upskill technicians in the NZGC to ensure that the necessary expertise and specialist skills are maintained in the centre. Newly acquired skills will be shared with other interested parties.