To set up a networked LaserJet 4M Plus printer, you need to have the printer’s IP address. You can then use (in Windows XP) the Add Printer wizard:
- Select a local printer (not a networked printer).
- When it fails to find a Plug and Play printer, select Create a New Port; type of port should be a Standard TCP/IP Port.
- Enter in the IP address of the Printer (in my case, 192.168.0.19).
- Follow the rest of the wizard like normal.
It probably helps to have had the printer drivers installed previously.
To find out the IP address of your LaserJet 4M printer:
- Take the printer offline by pressing the Online button once.
- Press the Menu button until you come to Test Menu.
- Press the Item button until you see Self Test.
- Press the Enter button.
- This will print a test page.
- The IP address will be in one of the boxes and listed under TCP/IP Status.