Setting up IPv6 on a Linode node
- Make sure that you are in an IPv6 native datacenter.
- Add your IPv6 address as AAAA records in your DNS server, for
- Ensure that when you execute
ifconfig, your IPv6 address is displayed as a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr f2:3c:91:df:00:00 inet addr:22.214.171.124.4 Bcast:126.96.36.199 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: 2600:1234::1234:91ff:1234:1234/64 Scope:Global inet6 addr: fe80::1234:1234:fedf:ed78/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:8230 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
- If not, you will need to add it using
ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 2600:1234::1234:91ff:1234:1234/64.
- Check that you can ping IPv6 using
- If you get a connect: Network is unreachable error, make sure that your IPv6 firewall does not block any ICMP.
-A INPUT -p ipv6-icmp -j ACCEPT
- Make sure that Apache is listening to all interfaces on port 80, or add the IPv6 address as a specific
- Restart Apache (
service apache2 restart) to allow Apache to rebind to the new interface.
Test IPv6 server connectivity
Two sites that I used: